Le Premier Deux Semaines (The First Two Weeks)

During November of 2022 of my senior year, I heard about an opportunity that immediately sparked my interest: Teaching English while living abroad for a year in France! Since pursuing the program, the months leading up to my departure were spent focusing on applications for the program, receiving a Visa, interviewing in French, and getting to understand not only the surrounding town that I would be living in but who I would be meeting at my school and the culture I would be joining. Receiving an email in April about where I was to be placed for the year from the organization and program that I was with, brought where I was to be living to reality. 


Since departing my home in Boise Idaho of the United States now two weeks ago, oh boy can I say a lot has happened! The first week since flying into Paris was spent meeting and staying with other interns and assistants within the program as a preliminary orientation who, like me, would be teaching English throughout various cities in France. Our days consisted of not only touring the city of Angers (the city by which we were staying) and its beautiful architecture and traditional french restaurants but attending workshops and classes about french host families and culture to teaching English in the classroom at the local university. I am incredibly relieved to have been able to spend my first days in a new country navigating French with other teaching assistant Americans and Canadiens connecting through our interests of French Language, traveling and living abroad together. A BIG Thankyou to the organization Andego for helping me and the other interns during a wonderful orientation to life in France!


When orientation ended, my time in France quickly changed from being a visitor or 'Tourist' in Angers to living with a French family and interacting with other French people at my school daily. Already, there is so much I can say about the differences I have seen within the culture of French schools compared to the American system but that needs to be saved for a later post. Now, as I continue to be oriented to a new life and work at school, I'm focusing on spending time getting to know my host family, visiting local attractions and places to visit in town and growing my understanding of communication skills in French.


 
À Plus Tard!

A Bridge in Angers over 'Le Main' River


Comments

  1. Gretchen, so excited to experience France vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts