Cultural Differences of the French Schooling System

I can remember my first week beginning work teaching English conversation classes at the Ste Emilie middle school here in France, and I will not lie, it was incredibly daunting. Meeting all the teachers the Friday before students arrived was wonderful as it gave me the opportunity to have a look at the school, meet colleagues that I would be working along-side with and begin to understand the place at which I would be working at during the weeks this school year. Don’t get me wrong, when students arrived the next week, I loved seeing the faces of 6th-9th graders and hearing them interact with each other, (And I have come to this conclusion: young teenagers in France behave almost the same way as students in middle school do in America: Crazy! ) However, beyond meeting students in the first week, I found it difficult to understand the layout of the school, the schedule by which students follow and the schedule I was given and even how the classes were referred to. It is just some of these differences that I have found when compared to how I have experienced the American school system, that I wanted to devote this post to.


School Cultural Differences Regarding the Students:

One of the first first things I had to learn and get used to when communicating with other teachers in the school was the terms applied to the various grades. And I have come to learn that the French school system throughout the regions  uses the same terms applied to all grades. When I say this I mean that 6th graders are referred to as 6emes, 7th graders being 5emes, 8th graders being 4eme and 9th graders being 3eme. Believe me, when I first heard these terms used I had to ask, “Why are those groups of girls in 3eme, they dont look like 3rd graders! (Very quickly I learnt the difference). And even more so, I will be beginning work at the nearby elementary  in the next few weeks and have been told that the terms for grade levels there are even more confusing. 


After having asked students to write answers on the board or viewing written assignments, I began to notice just how quaint and fancy all of the students' handwriting throughout all the work was. After asking how it was possible that all students could be writing the same and in such a neat and cursive-like fashion, I was told that all students were strictly taught throughout elementary school to write in the same and cursive way. While it is true that not all students were well ‘good’ at writing cursive, it still amazes me that it's a part of their lessons and programs prior to coming to middle school.


School Cultural Differences Regarding the Schedule

At St Emilie middle school, weeks are divided by Semaine A ‘Week A’ and Semain B ‘Week B’ This model greatly confused me at first as I was used to A/B days in middle and highschool in the United States. Even being over a month in, I still forget if the school is on an ‘A’ week or ‘B’ week schedule. 


I believe this may be one of my favorite differences between the  American and French school systems, but here in France lunchtime is a special time. When I say this I'm talking about a couple things. For one, the lunch break period for both students and teachers is around one hour and 30 minutes. As for teachers, this may mean catching up on a little lesson planning but more so, time to eat a meal and have conversations with others. In the last month, I have especially enjoyed eating with the other teachers as it is a time where I can greatly improve my French through listening to others or getting to know another teacher while conversing in French. And even after eating, I have found that many teachers drink coffee and talk around the lounge until it's time to begin teaching again. 


Students during the break eat lunch in the cafeteria or the Canteen as it's called in French and then all have the time to hangout outside, play in the game room foyer or participate in a lunchtime club. As of last week and for the rest of the school year, I have been asked to supervise the game room and teach a watercolor club which has been extra special! In the game room, sometimes the kids can be loud but I absolutely love teaching them american card games or getting to know them and who they are not only as students but as people. At the same time, art and watercolor has been something special to me, and being able to connect with other students through it during watercolor club has definitely kept my motivation, excitement and appreciation for why I am here and learning to teach English and interact with kids. During these times interacting with the kids, I've found that once I take the time to reach out and ask them questions it's quickly reciprocated and they are so very curious about my life in America. Some of my favorite questions asked have been, “Gretchen… Do Americans eat Pizza for breakfast?.” “Gretchen…. Do you eat hotdogs every day?” “Gretchen… Do you speak Japanese?” or even, “Gretchen.. have you ever met Michael Jackson?” – Oh boy, I wish I could meet Michael Jackson! 


After break the students at school participate in a time at which we call, Silence! On Lit!, and this simply is a 15 minute period at which students in their classrooms are silent and must read within the allotted time. Teachers and other staff are even encouraged to participate while in the classroom and out in taking the time to read something of choice after the break and before classes resume. This model is not taken up by all school establishments across France but has been adopted by mine and many others in the last few years. 


School Cultural Difference Regarding Teachers and Staff

At Ste Emilie, the teachers and staff are like a family. Maybe this is due to the smallness of the school and the town of Cande being nearby and out in the countryside but I think it could also be due to the amazing qualities and leadership of our directrice. From the beginning it especially stood out to me the relationships that the staff had with one another and even so, the inside-jokes that they have exchanged over the years discussed and laughed about. When one teacher needs help with something, many others quickly volunteer to be of assistance. Maybe this is new for me (being a part of a teacher community) as I have always been the student but there is something special about the teachers here at St Emilie. 


Even from the beginning of my arrival at the school, I have received an incredible amount of love and support from the teachers here from giving my rides to and from my host family's house, advice for lesson planning and navigating teenagers and even yes, finding me a cello to play and use during the year (I am going to Nantes soon with the music teacher to pick it up :) And even so, in the last few weeks I have been transitioning host families and the director of my school kindly rallied a team of teachers to host me at different times for a week during the transition. Having a community of teachers to come around you and not only be your colleagues but your friends makes a huge difference and truly makes me all the more excited to pursue education and teaching after my year in France.


Bonne Journee!


Comments

Popular Posts